Recently I attended a seminar on Pandemic Planning. The presenter was talking about all the standard approaches, and the need for organisations to ensure they have an adequate stockpile of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
This started me thinking – we cannot sustain these approaches to this problem.
Some example numbers
- Let’s say you want to protect 500 people across your organisation with masks
- A person will need 3 masks per day = 1500 masks each day
- The pandemic wave may be a variable duration, but estimate 4-6 weeks.
- You are going to have to stockpile approximately 450,000 masks!
- And they do not last forever
- This will amount to several tons of material you will have to store
Will your organisation be willing to make and sustain these investments for the long-term?